Top Ways to Beat the Summer Heat
Summer is in full swing here at the beach and things sure are heating up! Though July and August are traditionally the most popular months to take a Myrtle Beach vacation they are also the two hottest months of the year. Proper sun protection and hydration will only get you so far. Sometimes, you need to take a step back from the sun, salt, and sand and kick back to cool off.
There are plenty of ways to beat the heat and keep your cool during your beach getaway, take a peek at a few of our top picks:
Wet n’ Wild Fun
Of course, it wouldn’t be a trip to Myrtle Beach without a trip to the beach! But, there are plenty of other ways to keep cool this summer that don’t involve sloshing through the sand. If you need a break from the beach, check out one of Myrtle Beach’s three family style water parks!
· Myrtle Waves Water Park: Located right across from Broadway at the Beach, Myrtle Waves is the state’s largest water park! Visitors can enjoy their choice of over 12 water slides, the expansive wave pool, several lazy rivers, and much more. Tickets start at $20.99 / person and include the next day for free!
· Splashes Water Park: Splashes, the closest water park to Coral Beach, is a great way to enjoy the best of both worlds! Located oceanfront, guests can take in the beach views from the various slides and other water amenities offered. Admission starts at $18.95 / person and can be packaged with admission to the Family Kingdom Amusement Park as well.
· Wild Water & Wheels: Located just a short drive south in Surfside Beach, Wild Water & Wheels is the perfect place for thrill seekers. This unique water park includes a wide array of water amenities in addition to several rides and mini golf. Tickets start at $26.98 for full park admission and include the cost of rides.
Did Someone Say Shopping?
Yes, yes we did. Shopping is a great way to pick up a few souvenirs or stock up on a few essentials for the coming school year. The Grand Strand offers a wide array of shopping options to meet all of your needs. Visitors looking for a traditional mall experience should check out Coastal Grand, the area’s largest shopping mall complex. Upscale shoppers will love the high-end offerings at Market Common, a swanky outdoor shopping complex. Souvenir shoppers should check out Broadway at the Beach, Barefoot Landing, and the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk. Or, if you are looking for more of a local’s touch, try The Hammock Shops in Pawleys Island. Yes, it’s a bit of a drive but we promise it’s worth it! And finally, the bargain shoppers – don’t worry, we didn’t forget you. If you are looking for a deal look no farther than the Tanger Outlet stores.
Kick back, cool off, and enjoy an afternoon or evening of live entertainment at one of the local theatres. Whether you are in the mood for a lively concert or you want to see a mind boggling magic performance, you can find just about everything at the beach. Live entertainment options in Myrtle Beach include:
· Palace Theatre: Cirque Extreme
· Legends In Concert: Elvis Presley, Blues Brothers, Brooks & Dunn, Adele, and Bruno Mars
· Alabama Theatre: ONE The Show
· The Carolina Opry: Time Warp, Thunder & Light, and The Carolina Opry
· Medieval Times: Dinner & Show
· Pirates Voyage: Dinner & Show
We All Scream For Ice Cream
Tempt your taste buds with some of the area’s tastiest treats! Nothing “screams” summer quite like a family trip to the ice cream parlor and Myrtle Beach offers plenty of places for you to cool off your palette. If you are at Broadway at the Beach, be sure to indulge in your favorite flavors at Ben & Jerry’s; or, if you are looking for a healthier alternative, create your own frozen yogurt concoction at Froyoz. Guests who travel to the north end of the strand will definitely want to try one of the creative cool treats at Maggie Moo’s. With over 50 ice cream flavors and 50 unique mix-ins, the options are endless! Maggie Moo’s is also known for their enticing ice cream cakes and ice cream pizzas. Other popular ice cream spots include Cold Stone Creamery, Kirk’s Ice Cream Parlor, and Friendly’s Ice Cream Shop.
There’s no better way to cool off than with some ice-cold… air conditioning. Indoor attractions are plentiful in Myrtle Beach and are best enjoyed with the weather is just a bit too warm for comfort. Here are a few of our guests’ favorite indoor attractions:
· WonderWorks: This attraction is hard to miss! Often referred to as the “upside down house” at Broadway at the Beach, WonderWorks is actually a hands on science museum. Visitors can interact with and learn from more than 100 exhibits hosted inside. The museum also offers two obstacle courses, laser tag, a 6-D motion ride, and a full restaurant and bar area.
· Rockin’ Jump: Welcome to Rockin’ Jump, one of Myrtle Beach’s newest family attractions! It’s balls to the walls crazy in here – literally. Let the kids run wild in the trampoline park arena where they can bounce and flip their little hearts out. Rockin’ Jump also offers an obstacle course, rock climbing, games, and more!
· Children’s Museum of South Carolina: If you have a few younger tikes in tow, look no farther than the Children’s Museum of SC for a few hours of hands on entertainment. Explore over 20 interactive exhibits including favorites like the Famous Fraction Pizza Delivery Truck and the Habitat Habit. The museum is open daily and kids under 2 admitted for free!
· Hollywood Wax Museum: The Hollywood Wax Museum is a fun way to interact with all of your favorite celebrities. Unlike other similar attractions, this wax museum actually encourages pictures and provides hilarious props in each room. In addition to the wax museum, this center includes two other attractions – Hannah’s Maze of Mirrors and Outbreak, a Zombie Experience. Tickets may be purchased for one of all three of the attractions.
· Ripley’s Aquarium: Last but certainly not least – The Ripley’s Aquarium. Get a view of life under the sea with a vast array of aquatic exhibits. Guest favorites include Rainbow Rock, where you can find all of your favorites from Finding Dory, and Dangerous Reef, a moving glide-path that takes guests under a shark tank! It’s not hard to see why this attraction is a family favorite.
How do you keep cool during a hot summer in Myrtle Beach?