We know the cost of Myrtle Beach vacations can really add up, that’s why it’s always good to stretch your vacation funds as far as possible. Especially when it means you can splurge on those big ticket items that give your trip that real WOW factor! To help you plan an affordable vacation to Myrtle Beach, we’ve put together a list of activities that are totally free.
Free Things To Do In Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach Events
Myrtle Beach knows how to celebrate, so keep an eye out for free events all year long. There are almost always free concerts, festivals and family events each weekend throughout the busy season, including:
- Hot Summer Nights at the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk
- Movies Under The Stars at Market Common
- Free family events and fireworks at Broadway at the Beach & Barefoot Landing
Explore The Great Outdoors
There are plenty of places to go for a stroll in Myrtle Beach, especially if people-watching is more your style than window-shopping. Try the Oceanfront Boardwalk and Promenade for a fun surfside stroll—it’s been ranked as one of the top boardwalks in the U.S.! You can also head down to Broadway at the Beach, which is free – provided you can resist all the shopping and dining options. Keep an eye out for free strolling entertainment as well as fireworks shows at night throughout the summer season. Myrtle Beach also offers several piers that you can explore completely free of charge!
Parks in Myrtle Beach
Lovers of the great outdoors rejoice – Myrtle Beach offers several public parks that can be enjoyed for free! Public parks are a great way to get in some exercise and play time during the vacation and take advantage of the breezy beach weather. Parks near our Myrtle Beach resorts include:
- Valor Park (The Market Common)
- Plyler Park (Ocean Boulevard)
- McLean Park (North Myrtle Beach)
- North Myrtle Beach Sports Complex (North Myrtle Beach)
Myrtle Beach Art Museum
Guests looking for a dose of cluture or who get stuck with a rare rainy beach day can still enjoy free fun! The Burroughs & Chapin Art Museum is located towards the end of Ocean Boulevard and has been the Grand Strand’s home to contemporary visual art since the 1970’s. The museum itself is housed in a charming 1920’s beach house that was relocated and restored to it’s natural beauty. Guests can peruse 10 unique galleries that feature different exhibits throughout the year and often includes local and regional artists.
Museum Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 10am – 4pm and Sundays 1pm – 4pm. Call (843) 238-2510 for more information.
This may be obvious, but remember: Hanging out on the beach doesn’t cost a dime. We’ve got 60 miles of sun-kissed sand, mellow waves and gorgeous scenery, plus the city provides lifeguards to help make sure you’re safe—all for free. Up your beach game with these entertainment tips:
- Pack a Picnic – This works for any time of day – breakfast, lunch, or dinner – and is a great way to save on meal expenses while not compromising the view.
- Bring a Few Beach Games – Beach games are a great way to keep the kids entertained or to get the entire family involved! Some of our favorites include cornhole, ladder ball, frisbee, vollyeball, football, beach bowling, and kite flying
- Create a Scavenger Hunt – Keep the little ones engaged with a fun scavenger hunt. This can be planned in advance or made up on a whim – just come up with a list of beach items for your crew to find!
- Bring a Book – Knock off a few books from that reading bucket list while you soak up the sun!
- Surf Fishing – If you have a few rods handy, bring them along for a bit of surf fishing. Who knows, you may even catch dinner!
- Sandcastle Contest – This beach classic never goes out of style!
- Beach Olympics – Enjoy a full day of beach games and activities with an Olympic style competition! This option is great for larger families or groups.
- Sea Shell Hunt – See how many unique sea shells you can collect, you never know what you’ll find! These also make great free souvenirs.
If you’re not sure whether there are free events going on while you’re here, just ask your Coral Beach hotel staff! We’re here to help—and we’ve got great ideas for fun.